It seems that my quest to close the digital research circle has been joined by a few fellow researchers.
- Download bibliographic information and pdf files into my Zotero library using the Zotero Firefox plug-in.
- Sync with Mendeley to bring the Zotero information and the files into Mendeley.
- Have Mendeley organize my pdf files to a folder on Dropbox.
- Using the iPad Dropbox application, connect to the folder into which Mendeley has organized my files.
- Pull up the paper, read it in Dropbox without annotation, OR
- Using the Open In button at the top right, open the file in iAnnotate for the iPad and do annotations right there.
- Sadly, to return the document to Dropbox, you will need to email it back to yourself and overwrite the file in Dropbox – this is the weak link at the moment.
So, we are getting closer here. I am very hopeful that a Mendeley iPad application will have adequate annotating capabilities and file managing abilities, but until then, this just might work for me.